Established by the Congregation of the Humility of Mary, St. Joseph Hospital was completed in 1925, with an expansion and major additions of a chapel and dormitory in the 1950s. The 120-bed hospital served the greater Ottumwa area and provided employment and training opportunities in conjunction with St. Josephs’ School of Nursing.
Located in the heart of the Vogel historic district, St. Joseph’s Square will be a residential development consisting of a 10-acre site encompassing the old St. Joseph Hospital on Ottumwa’s north side. The layout and feel of the development is designed to blend into the surrounding neighborhood. The development will feature townhomes and detached single-family homes. Homes at St. Joseph's Square will blend modern amenities with traditional lines and open floor plans.